Tuesday, August 10, 2010

I take charge of the way I learn...

In the current context I am talking about my decent and recent progress in learning German. I still have a long way to go. Based on my experience so far here are a few tips when planning to learn a foreign language. 

Is learning German difficult?? 
Now I wonder if doing anything the first time is easy. The same applies when learning a language. A million meaningless sounds flying around all at once. But once you hear them over and over again you may just manage to see gaps between two different sounds. The key is to LISTEN..

So even before I started attending class in Mumbai, Flav helped me find material online that I could save and listen on my Ipod and print and read when on my way to work. So I spent one hour everyday just listening and repeating what I heard while following on paper. I didn't understand everything I heard but I understood the difference between the sounds and slowly they didn't seem so unfamiliar. Few sounded a lot like words from the English language. This activity was such a blessing because when I finally started class after two weeks I didn't feel so lost.
http://multilingualbooks.com/fsi-sampler.html#german

Now I am in a place where I hear those sounds (which I can call words) all the time. My vocabulary is still very limited but I still haven't stopped "listening" to what people talk to each other at a supermarket, while traveling or over the phone. No am not hungry for gossip... just plain hungry to learn.

When I came here I criticized the system of teaching a lot... and I still do in some ways. But that process of criticism was only to help me understand what would help me learn better, what my strengths are and today I feel satisfied.
1. The dictionary is THE biggest help every time you hear a new word.
http://dict.leo.org/
2.  If I want to say something in German and I am not sure if I am right then I first frame the sentence based on what I can and then cross check with lingoes. You can use it for any other language. Its a freeware and also compatible with mobile phones. 
http://www.lingoes.net/en/translator/download.htm

3. I am not particularly fond of reading a lot but I do enjoy reading short stories and articles. So I try looking up material that interests me.

Short stories in both German and English! http://www.a-language-guide.com/german-short-stories/
http://www.fln.vcu.edu/menu.html

I may not have control over the way I am taught but I sure do over the way I learn!!!

2 comments:

  1. You are such an inspiration darling ... had given up my desire to learn French. You have renewed it. thank you

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so glad it means so much! :)

    ReplyDelete