Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Our 'Last Supper'


For the last few months I have been thinking of working on a 'Last Supper' picture for our dining area. But none of the many ideas in my head seemed exciting enough. Like I do with most things I wanted this creation to be a depiction of my own understanding of what Jesus' act of service and sacrifice means to me.

Last week one of the stores here called 'Lidl' had a wonderful offer for a metal tool that is heated to 500 degrees C and has different bits (like in a drilling machine) to make designs on cork. leather and wood. Basically it burns the material and you get a black and white effect. We have several planks of wood in our store room and once I had bought the machine I knew what I was going to do. First I practised on some cork coasters to check how it was going to react. I felt pretty comfortable in the initial 10 minutes of using it and I grabbed a plank of wood to make our very own Last Supper frame.

It took me about 2 hours to complete the work with occasional 2 minute breaks as the fingers got tired. The device gets very hot and so I could not afford to be distracted even for a bit. The task required a lot of concentration, patience and skill because everything was done free hand with reference to another last supper picture. Holding the metal tip at one point for too long over heated the wood creating smoke that hurt the eyes and irritated the nose. So I also had to ensure I was not over heating the wood and holding the materials at an angle where the smoke didn't enter my nostrils directly.
Hmmm so now to tell you what is so special about our Last Supper. You will notice two things: 1. Only the apostles seated on one side of Jesus are coloured dark while not the others. Each of us has a bright side (our strengths, potential) and a dark side (our weaknesses, limitations). I believe that Jesus comes to reach out to us irrespective of who we are. He comes to strengthen our strengths and heal our weaknesses. All of this being a reminder to treat ourselves with the same respect and care. 2. Jesus' face is coloured dark which makes it difficult to recognise him. Jesus didn't just come for us years ago but He keeps working in our lives through different people, often through strangers or the least likely people.

Our 'Last Supper' is an image of hope, faith, respect, service and love. Each day when we sit together as a family I hope and pray that we are reminded of these values.

7 comments:

  1. I've seen people giving their own versions about the Last Supper, but this is the first time I've seen someone making their own version of the Last Supper based on their beliefs. Too Good!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Hansel! Interesting you brought this up. Infact so much energy is spent debating about faith and paintings and the true essence lost. I am sure Jesus himself wud not mind this version.

    ReplyDelete
  3. wow!!!!!!! take a bow!! i am thoroughly amazed... and super impressed...!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't see any reason why Jesus would mind this version as whatever said is very valid. The Bible tells us loads of things, it all depends on how you want to interpret it to make your life more worthwhile

    ReplyDelete
  5. Haze: I loved your interpretation but's here's something that struck me after reading Hansel's comment.

    There is something called exegesis - where in you draw meaning FROM the text. There is also something called Eisegesis where you read meaning INTO the text!

    As teachers of the Word one has to be very careful not to do eisegesis. New Religious Movements flourish because of Eisegesis. As a result there is confusion.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks Dit. Point taken & understood. I will just say one thing "new" or "old" doesn't denote "right" or "wrong"/"valid" or "invalid".

    ReplyDelete